Failed to Set up Tool (No Context ID Returned) with AVR Prog

Hello,

I have a Pololu 3pi robot and a Pololu USB AVR programmer. The laptop I am using is running Windows 7. I followed the instructions in the Pololu AVR Programming Quick Start Guide, and was able to download and install all the recommended software. In addition, I was able to compile the simple program suggested in the guide. However, when I try to upload the code to the 3pi using the controller, I get the error:

Failed to set-up tool (no context id returned).

I thought that I had set the COM ports correctly. The device manager lists the Pololu USB AVR Programmer Programming Port as COM5, and I’ve used the “Add Target” Option under the Tools menu in the Amtel software to set “Select Tool” to STK500 and the Pololu USB AVR Programmer Programming Port to COM5.

I do notice that the plugged in AVR Programmer blinks green near the USB connector, and that it blinks yellow near the ribbon cable connector to the 3pi. As for the 3pi, it starts up and runs the preloaded demo program just fine.

I am hoping this is a common and well understood snag.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello.

I am sorry you are having problems programming your 3pi. You might be encountering a known bug when using Atmel Studio with our programmer. Could you try programming your 3pi using the workaround in this post?

If you are still having trouble, could you let me know what version of Atmel Studio are you using? Could you verify that under “View > Available Atmel Tools” there is only one STK500 in the list? Could you also post screen shots of your errors from both Atmel Studio and the USB AVR Programmer Configuration Utility?

- Amanda