Accessing the Pololu AVR C/C++ Library

Hello all,

I recently began learning how to program on the 3pi. From browsing the website and talking to the technical support, it seems that going through the Pololu AVR C/C++ Library should give me a good idea on where to start. However, for some reason I can’t access it on my computer. I have downloaded it, and I have updated Atmel Studio to the current version as well as re-installing the library.

So I guess my question is, where can view the examples that are supposedly in the Library? Am I supposed to open them up for viewing on notepad? Or in Atmel Studio?
If it is located in Atmel Studio, then where can I access it?
Please help me… :question:

Also if anyone can answer these other questions then I would greatly appreciate that as well.

1. Does knowing the C/C++ language help? Or can I begin programming without prior knowledge?

2. On the User’s Guide Page for the Library…Does it matter if it states that the functions are for the Orangutan? Meaning…can I still use the same functions for the 3pi as well?

Thank You In Advance
:mrgreen:

Hello.

If you have downloaded and installed our AVR C/C++ library, you should have a folder called “libpololu-avr”. If you navigate to the “examples” sub-folder you should see another folder called “atmega328p”. In the “atmega328p” folder, you should see multiple folders that have 3pi in their name. All of these folders contain examples. If you just want to view the code, you can open the C files using a simple text editor like Notepad. Otherwise, you can double click on the .atsln file to open the solution in Atmel Studio. If there are multiple C files associated with the example, you can use the “Solution Explorer” window in Atmel Stuido to browse through them.

Knowing and understanding C/C++ would be very helpful, but the 3pi is also a great platform for learning. The AVR C/C++ Library User’s Guide should state in the description for each function whether or not the 3pi supports that particular function. If there is one you are not sure about, I’d be happy to help clarify.

-Brandon