Zumo for Arduino adding IR proximity sensor

Hı pololu admin,
I am from TURKEY. I want to buy Zumo for Arduino V.1.2. But I have a problem. I have need to your help about mounting İR proximity sensor on Zumo. Where must I mount IR sensor ? Zumo shield or Arduino UNO
Thanks a lot

Hello.

What kind of IR sensor do you want to mount? We carry several IR sensors, and our Zumo for Arduino robots have a downward facing IR array that has a specific way to be mounted. We do not have any dedicated features for mounting other IR sensors, though I might be able to point you to examples of how other people have mounted and wired some.

-Nathan

Hi Nathan,
First of all Thanks for your reply
My question is obstacle sensor as Zumo 32U4’s front obstacle sensor. So can This sensor be mounted to Zumo V1.2 shield FOR arduino?
Zumo 32u4 shield isn’t same Zumo v1.2 shield FOR arduino . İ am confused because they aren not same Shape. can Side sensors be mounted its?

Hello.

The components of the front and side obstacle sensors for the Zumo 32U4 are part of its main board and front sensor array board underneath. There is no straightforward way to replicate that Zumo 32U4’s sensor configuration on a Zumo 1.2 shield for Arduino.

We do sell an number of IR proximity sensor boards that you might be able to use with a robot that uses the Zumo v1.2 shield to get sensing similar to the Zumo 32U4. The Sharp distance sensors we carry are available with a number of different output types and distance ranges. Our 38 kHz IR proximity sensors are trickier to tune than the Sharp sensors, but use some of the same components that are used in the Zumo32U4 proximity sensor.

-Nathan

Hi Nathan,
Finally, I buyed a Zumo V1.2 and four 38 khz reflectance sensor. ( besides I have 2 piece 10-80 cm sharp proximity sensor)

I want to make mini somo robot.

But I don’t know where I will solder ENABLE.
Pololu give a information about 38 khz IR Proximity Sensor. But Informatian said that If You want, You can’t solder ENABLE.
Therefore , It is a digital sensor. but Zumo shield have 2 and 6 digital pin as free

Did I understand right this information.
Acording to you, what sould I do?

Hello.

Your question is not very clear to me, but it sounds like you have 4 of our product #2460 or #2461 and are not sure how to use them on your Zumo V1.2. In general each of those sensors normally require 2 separate GPIO pins on the microcontroller , though depending on the application, there might be ways to reduce the number of pins required. Also, the Sharp GP2Y0A21YK0F Analog Distance Sensors 10-80cm each require their own analog input pins.

The “Arduino pin assignment table” section of the Pololu Zumo Shield for Arduino User’s Guidediscusses this I/O pins available on the robot.

If I misunderstood your question, please try to rephrase it and post here again.

-Nathan

Hello Nathan
I finally made a mini sumo robot with Zumo v1.2 thanks for your helps. I had to use a different sensor (chine origine). I couldn’t use wide angle 38 kHz Pololu IR proximity sensor because of its high sensetivity. I tried adjusting but I didn’t make. Now,I wonder how to turn off its IR emitter led. I know that it could be made by enable pin. But Which pin or where İt will be mounted. İf you help about it ( turn off IR led on 38 kHz sensor) , I glad you.

Hello,

ENABLE is made accessible as a 0.1"-spaced pin on our 38 kHz Pololu IR proximity sensor. To disable the IR LED all of the time, you can connect that pin to GND on the board or any other location on the Zumo board that is labeled as ground. If you want to have it on during some parts of your program and off during other parts, you can connect it to one of the digital I/O pins on the Zumo shield and the IR LEDs will be off when your program writes that pin “LOW”.

-Nathan