Uart problems with zumo32U4 using arduino IDE

Hi Guys

I am new to zumo32U4 and using the Arduino IDE 1.6.5. I can upload the examples and have had some fun playing around. My question is the following.

I want to use a HiLink-HLK-RM04 wifi module(uart to network socket) with the Zumo to send data to my software remotely. My HiLink works perfectly well and I can use it in Arduino UNO to send serial data using Serial.println(“xxx”). Now, I want to send the data from the Zumo

I read the documentation and it says that you can use the LCD expansion pin 0 (PD2) and pin 1 (PD3) for TX and RX. My question is how do I address it in the Arduino software. I get that I must remove the LCD library. Do I use the Arduino SoftwareSerial.h and address the pins ? or can I only do this in the AVR software?

Thanks

Robby

Hello, Robby.

The Zumo 32U4 is based on the Arduino-compatible ATmega32U4 microcontroller (the same one as the Arduino Leonardo), so if you want to use hardware serial on the Zumo 32U4 (on pins 0 and 1), you can use Serial1 (just like on the Arduino Leonardo). You can find more information about the hardware serial on Arduino’s “Serial” reference page.

If you want to use Software Serial, you should be able to pick which pins you want to use, so you can reference the “Expansion areas” section of the Zumo 32U4 user’s guide to help choose the pins you want to use. Please note that SoftwareSerial requires change interrupts on the RX pin, so only specific pins can be used for RX. You can check the SoftwareSerial Library reference page to see which pins are compatible for the Leonardo, which should be the same for the Zumo 32U4.

-Brandon

Thank you

Yes that worked perfectly … I used Serial1.println

Thanks again

Robby