Advanced Mini Sumo Robot

Hi,

Nowadays, i am working on my new mini sumo robot, “Karafatma”.

It consists of these parts:

• STM32VLDiscovery
  • 4 pieces of Pololu 35:1 Mini Metal Gearmotor, 6 V: 350 RPM, 1.4 kg-cm torque
  • 3 pieces of Sharp GP2Y0D340K
  • 2 pieces of Pololu TB6612FNG
  • 2 pieces of Pololu QTR-1A
  • 4 pieces of Solarbotics RW2i Wheels
  • 4 pieces of Grey Color Silicone Tires
  • 2 pieces of 7.4V Rhino 360 mAh Lipoly
  • Sparkfun IMU Fusion Board ADXL345 & IMU3000
  • Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module

I can control it using Android phone for testing purposes;
http://youtu.be/62mLu-xrMAA

I wrote an article about it on my blog site. You can find more information there. Unfortunately, it is in Turkish. But you can check out lots of in-depth photos of my robot.
http://mertoztoprak.wordpress.com

I hope you like it.
Thanks.

Mert Öztoprak

very impressive! What was the approximate build cost?

Thank you. I have tried to calculate approximate cost as below;

• STM32VLDiscovery - 14$
  • 4 pieces of Pololu 35:1 Mini Metal Gearmotor, 6 V: 350 RPM, 1.4 kg-cm torque - 72$
  • 3 pieces of Sharp GP2Y0D340K - 39$
  • 2 pieces of Pololu TB6612FNG - 17$
  • 2 pieces of Pololu QTR-1A - 5$
  • 4 pieces of Solarbotics RW2i Wheels - 14$
  • 4 pieces of Grey Color Silicone Tires - 10$
  • 2 pieces of 7.4V Rhino 360 mAh Lipoly - 9$
  • Sparkfun IMU Fusion Board ADXL345 & IMU3000 - 60$
  • Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module - 10$
  • Plexiglass & Lazer Cut Service - 10$
  • Other misc. components - 15$

275$ cost in total.

In the pic it looks like your tires are wider than the RW2i hubs. Is that true? How did you keep the silicone on the hubs?

I put a cylindrical part into the center of rw2i wheel. Then i inserted the wheel into the mould, and casted silicon until it covers the whole cylindrical part. So, i could make the wheels wider that way.

How did you fit the cylindrical part into the hub?

@chriswu, i just measured the inner diameter of the wheel, then using a cnc machine, a made cylindirical part with that diameter, than i put it in the wheel. No extra thing to do.

@vincentroberts, Thank you very much. I spent almost a week to learn how to use basic peripherals on STM32. It was my first experience with an Arm mcu. Drawing schematics, getting the parts and printing PCB took 3 days. I think i spent a couple of days for software development. For the past 2 weeks i had exams, i will start working on my robot again in a week. I am going to post any achievements i gain to my blog page.

Where did you get the mix for the silicone? I used to buy reoflex series urethanes, but they are very expensive.

i bought it from a local shop in my country. I couldn’t find urethan here, so i decided to use rtv silicon… You’re right, urethan is very expensive even in USA, but it is the best choice for high traction.