Mini Maestro 12 and Button Controls

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on Pololu and I am just now getting into Servo Controls and I am a newb for sure.

How can I wire up a Button on my Maestro?

I read this article but I have no idea what I am to do… pololu.com/docs/0J40/7.b

Please Help

Thanks
Josh

Hello.

In an email to us, you described your issue in greater detail. I will refer to some parts of it here to help clarify the question in your original post.

The wiring diagram for connecting a button or switch to the Micro Maestro (shown in the Maestro user’s guide) can be applied to the Mini Maestros. It might be helpful for you to look at the power pins diagram for the Mini Maestro 12 to see where the 5V line is located. You can find the diagram on the right-hand side midway through the “Mini Maestro Pinout and Components” section of the user’s guide.

If you have not already done so, I recommend looking at the “Using a button or switch to control servos” script under the “Example Script” section of the user’s guide. You can modify the script to get the desired behavior you want after successfully connecting your button to your Maestro.

- Amanda

Thanks Amanda,

I appreciate the help and assistance. I will keep looking into how to do this and get back to you if I need any further assistance.

:slight_smile:

What is an external pull-up resistor?

An external pull up resistor is a resistor that you add to particular node in a circuit so that it has a default high state. There are many articles about pull-up resistors and their applications which can be found with a quick search on the Internet. (You might start with this Wikipedia article.)

- Amanda

Thank you Amanda, I know understand the purpose and what they do. Do you recommend a certain resistor from Pololu.com that will work well on the Maestro 12?

We do not carry resistors, but you might try looking for them at other electronic websites. We generally recommend a pull-up resistor in the 1k to 100k range when using a button (or switch) with the Maestro.

- Amanda

Hi Amanda,

I feel like I am getting close here :slight_smile:

onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 … hoto%2cjpg

onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 … hoto%2cjpg

What am I missing, this is still not working.

Thanks for your Guidance with this amateur.

Josh

From your pictures, it does not look like there is a solid connection between the 5V output pin and your resistor. You should solder your wire directly to that pin. Also, I did not see a power source in your setup. It might be that you removed it before taking pictures of your system, but in case you are unsure how to power your Maestro, you can look at the “Powering the Maestro” section of the user’s guide for different ways to power your Maestro.

If you have not already done so, you will need to change the settings for the channel connected to your switch to “Input” mode, which can be done from the “Channel Settings” tab of the Maestro Control Center. You can try modifying the “Using a button or switch to control servos” code under the “Example Scripts” section of the user’s guide to get started on your own script.

If you have problems getting your script to work or continue to have other issues, you can post your script here, and I would be happy to take a look at it.

- Amanda

SOOOooooo is is probably a bad thing when smoke rolls out of your maestro right? LOL.

Well I wired the 4v above the transistor and Poof… she is no longer working.

I appreciate you trying to assist me Amanda, going to try another path to get what I am needing.

Thanks Again
Josh

Yes, smoke is almost always a bad sign. It sounds like you created a short when you applied 4V to your circuit, and it is likely your Maestro is damaged beyond repair. If you want to try again with the Maestro, you can contact us and mention this forum post, we might be able to help you out with a discount on a replacement.

- Amanda