Attempting maestro 12ch with mac

I’m trying to use the Maestro 12 ch controller with a Mac by following the recommended COM port (/dev/cu*) procedure in the user manual. I have a windows PC available to configure it however needed.

In the Maestro put it in “USB Dual Port” mode and left the rest of the settings in the Maestro Control Center. I verified that the Maestro Control Center works with the controller (and servo on Ch 0). I moved the Maestro to the Mac and it enumerates…but then it goes away and comes back repeatedly. These commands were about 1 second apart:

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/cu.usbmodem00140311 /dev/cu.usbmodem00140313
~ > ls /dev/cu*
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/cu.usbmodem00140311 /dev/cu.usbmodem00140313
~ > ls /dev/cu*
~ > ls /dev/cu*
~ > ls /dev/cu*
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
~ > ls /dev/cu*
~ > ls /dev/cu*
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
~ > ls /dev/cu*

It does stay connected long enough every once in a while to run the “Pololu site 5.h.1 cross platform example code” and it does work once or twice randomly. It seems like the device is constantly rebooting. Yellow LED repeatedly blinks in groups of two. Green LED stays lit for ~3 seconds then has four short off periods. Rinse and repeat. I have both a mac mini and an iMac and both behave the same. Both are running 10.11 El Capitan. Any ideas?

(side note: for now I am good with just a single Maestro controller using compact mode, but eventually I want to do multiple Maestros daisy chained using polulu mode)

Hello. I am sorry that you are having trouble using your Mini Maestro 18-Channel USB Servo Controller with Mac OS X 10.11. There is a problem that prevents the Maestro from working properly on Mac OS X 10.11, but we can probably help you fix this problem with a special firmware update. Please email us at support@pololu.com and refer to this thread if you would like more information.

–David

Hello.

To follow up, we have released a firmware update (v1.03) for the Maestro that fixes this issue. You can download the update for your Maestro version under the “Upgrading Firmware” section of the Maestro’s user’s guide. Please follow the steps under “Upgrade Instructions” in that section to properly update the Maestro’s firmware.

- Amanda

After loading firmware 1.03 on the maestro, I can’t seem to communicate with it (via /dev/cu.usb*) on latest OS X 10.11. I believe I can communicate with it on 10.12 but I’m not 100% sure yet.

Can you elaborate on what firmware versions are expected to be compatible with what OS X versions? That would be very helpful.

The firmware version 1.03 should work for Mac OS X 10.11 and later. Can you verify that you are able to communicate with the Maestro on Mac OS X 10.12? It sounds like the Maestro device is not being recognized by your Mac. If you have not already done so, can you try using a different USB cable (one you know is working)? Can you also run dmesg | tail -30 immediately after connecting the Maestro to your Mac and post the output results here?

- Amanda

It is OK on 10.11 now. It was that the firmware update reset the device settings and the “serial mode” ended up at the UART fixed baud rate setting. I had to change that to USB Dual Port.

It is OK on 10.11 now. It was that the firmware update reset the device
settings and the “serial mode” ended up at the UART fixed baud rate
setting. I had to change that to USB Dual Port.

That’s great! I am glad you figured out the problem and fixed it; thank you for letting us know.

- Amanda

A post was split to a new topic: Micro Maestro 6-channel controller with Mac OS X 10.11.3