Drive 4 motors with encoders for position control

Hi all,

new project… would like to drive 4 motors (linear actuators)at the same time,using encoders so all will move at same speed (track).
current would be 5A , any suguestions on the best way to proceed.

PS… very limited programming.

thanks in advance

Hello.

Your post does not give very much information about your project, so it is hard to give any recommendations or advice on where to start. Answering some of the following questions might help us give some recommendations:

1. Have you already chosen linear actuators? If so, could you link to their specifications?
  2. How do you plan on controlling the actuators (e.g. from a potentiometer, computer, RC transmitter)?
  3. What part of the project are you asking for help with?
  4. Do you plan on using a microcontroller? If so, have you chosen one yet?

-Brandon

Hi Brandon… my answers to your questions below.

1. Have you already chosen linear actuators? If so, could you link to their specifications?
    12v dc, max 3.5A, dual hall output 0-5v , hall operate from 5-12v
  2. How do you plan on controlling the actuators (e.g. from a potentiometer, computer, RC transmitter)?
    as all mtoors would be controlled and motitored ar same time, they would use hall effect for greater accuracy , thus controller with PWM signal.
  3. What part of the project are you asking for help with?
    I can control one motor, and stopping when a certain pulse count is reached, no how do you controll the other 3 motors and adjust speed to keep in synch ?, both forwards and backwards ?
  4. Do you plan on using a microcontroller? If so, have you chosen one yet? was thinking of using either a mega2560 or uno, the mega has more interupts That I belive would monitor your pulse count.

:slight_smile:

It sounds like you are on the right track with using the Arduino Mega for processing the encoder feedback. I suggest working on one actuator at a time and adding another to your system once you have it working how you want.

You might consider our Simple Motor Controller (SMC) 18v7 for driving each of the motors. It has many features you might find useful and can be controlled through serial commands. The SMCs can also be daisy chained together, allowing multiple units to be independently controlled by a single serial line. You can find more information about this in the “Daisy Chaining” section of the Simple Motor Controller’s User’s Guide, which can be found in the “Resources” tab of its product page.

-Brandon