10 cell NiMH for 12V motors?

I’m planning a robotics project and I’m looking at using three 37D motors. Since they’re rated for 12V, a 10 cell (12V) NiMH seems ideal for maximum performance, but the maximum voltage for that pack is actually 14.5V. Will running the motors at the higher voltage cause any problems? Should I just go with a 7 cell (I can’t find any 9 cells :frowning: )?

Hello.

In general, those kinds of motors can run at voltages above and below their rated voltage, so we expect them to comfortably operate at voltages like 14.5V. Just note that running brushed motors at higher voltages will negatively affect the lifetime of the motor.

-Nathan

[quote=“nathanb”]Hello.
Just note that running brushed motors at higher voltages will negatively affect the lifetime of the motor.
[/quote]

Any ideas about how much this will affect the lifetime? I’m not planning on making a space station or anything, but I don’t want my motors failing after a month.

The brush lifetime will depend on a number of variables, like load, motor speed and voltage. You will need to determine it by experiment.