Qik 2s12v10 Motor Fault Problem

Hi,

I have got a problem with qik 2s12v10 Motor controller. I wrote a program to control two dc motors.
Motor M0 works perfectly. It can be forward and reversed at any speed. But when I tried with Motor M1 (using command 0x8c). It did not work at all and the Error LED (red) turned on all the time.

• I tried demo mode. Motor M0 worked as expected but Motor M1 moved forward and reversed less than 1 s and then stopped.
  • I read Error Byte and I received 02, which means Motor 1 Fault.

The motor itself rotates normally but I do not know how to check the motor driver. I tried to use the reset pin but the Error LED turned on when I sent a command.
Should it be the problem of configuration parameter setting?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kiat

Hello, Kiat.

I am sorry you are having problems with your qik. Could you tell me more about your setup? What motors are you using with your qik? What is the stall current of your motors? Could you try running the qik without the motors connected and see if the indicator LEDs are lighting up correctly?

- Grant

Hello Grant,

Thank you very much for your help.

Could you tell me more about your setup?

• I connected two dc motors which are the same specification to Motor M0 output and Motor M1 output. I connected 12 V battery to VIN (6-16 V) and GND.
  • I connected TX of my LPC2148 Microcontroller to RX of the qik board and connected GND together. I also tried to connect one digital output pin of my LPC2148 to the RESET pin of the qik board.
  • I did not set any configuration parameters.
  • I ran the following code
uart1_init(9600);
uart1_putc(0xAA);
delay_ms(100);

uart1_putc(0x88);
delay_ms(10);
uart1_putc(0x40);
delay_ms(10);
uart1_putc(0x8C);
delay_ms(10);
uart1_putc(0x40);

The motor connected to Motor M0 output rotated properly (motor LED turned on) but the motor connected to Motor M1 output did not rotate (motor LED did not turn on).
I tried to switch them. The motor connected to Motor M0 output rotated but the motor connected to Motor M1 output did not.

I also tried to run only the following code for Motor M1. It did not work either.

uart1_init(9600);
uart1_putc(0xAA);
delay_ms(100);

uart1_putc(0x8C);
delay_ms(10);
uart1_putc(0x40);

What motors are you using with your qik?
What is the stall current of your motors?

• Both motors are the same specification: Pololu 12V 50:1 Gear motor w/Encoder.
  • Stall current is 5A based on pololu.com/product/1444.

Could you try running the qik without the motors connected and see if the indicator LEDs are lighting up correctly?

• LEDs of Motor M0 turned on correctly but nothing happened on LEDs of Motor M1.

Thank you very much for your time.

Kiat

I did not see anything in your commands that looked incorrect. At this point, I am not sure what is wrong with your qik. I might be able to help you out with a discount on a replacement if you email us at support@pololu.com with pictures of both sides of the board and your ordering information.

- Grant

Actually, I also tried Pololu Serial Transmitter to send commands to the Qik motor controller. Motor M0 worked perfectly but Motor M1 did not work at all.

By the way, thank you for you offer but I live in Thailand so it may not be easy to order a new one with a discount.

Now, I might give it up and try to buy a new one available in Thailand.

Thank you again for your help.

Kiat