DRV8834 With KL17H48-15-4A High Torque Stepper Motor

Hello Im looking for some advice. I have some KL17H248-15-4A Stepper motors that can be found here:http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/3d-printer/nema17-stepper-motor-kl17h247-150-4a-for-3d-printer. They are rated for 1.5A per phase with a resistance of 2.8 ohms per phase. I am looking to run them with the DRV8834 Drivers. My question will this be OK as long as I use a fan to help keep them cool?

Hello,

The DRV8834 should work fine with a 1.5A per phase stepper motor. 1.5A is right at the limits of the DRV8834 carrier in our tests, so a fan would help add some cooling, but you might find it is not necessary.

Please note that unless you have some particular reason for using a low voltage, you can generally get higher step rates by running your stepper motor at higher voltages. By using a higher voltage along with active current limiting (like our stepper motor drivers have), the current is able to ramp up faster, which lets you achieve higher step rates than you could using the rated voltage. You might consider our DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier if you want to take advantage of those higher step rates.

-Derrill